UPDATE 10-2-21: Cozies will be in stock again the middle of October
Please choose the number of layers of wool from the drop down menu. How many layers do you need? Scroll down to see the Zone chart for your climate.
Winterize your bee hive with the Beehive Cozy Cover, the perfect solution to winter colony survival. The Beehive Cozy Cover is constructed from durable, double weave, 100% watertight, breathable cotton canvas. There are four insulation pockets that securely hold 100% natural wool batts.
The Cozy Cover being researched at Cornell University
"Everyday we are learning how important it is for us to consider the inner workings of wild honey bees in the management of the bees in our apiaries. We now know that the insulation provided by a living tree is essential to honey bees in many ways. The Cozy Cover does a wonderful job of mimicking the insulation found in the cavity of a living bee tree and thereby helps buffer the bee's home against abrupt changes in temperature. The Cozy Cover fits nicely over a Langstroth hive with 1 Deep, 1 Super and a hive dry box. This setup provides the ideal environment in which to overwinter your bees in the northeast."
Robin W. Radcliffe, DVM, Diplomate American College of Zoological Medicine
Cornell University Master Beekeeper
You have put time, money, energy and love into your bees, now lets get them through the winter. It's so devastating to have a healthy, productive hive going into the fall, only to lose it all because of cold winter temperatures.
Corwin at BackYardHive is passionate about protecting the bees in the winter from sudden temperature drops and he has put a huge amount of energy into understanding the colony deaths occurring across the US during this season. After studying hives for multiple winter seasons, we designed the ideal insulating solution, the Beehive Cozy Cover ! It is the ultimate protection for overwintering your bees. The only thing you could do better is to keep your bees in a big tree.
* 100 % natural materials for the bees
* Watertight, Breathable, UV resistant Cotton Canvas
* Natural Wool from New Zealand is breathable and superior R values
* Wool inherently manages moisture and eliminates condensation
* Four insulation pockets that securely hold insulation
* Wrap around wind and draft flaps
* The front has a sewn in drip edge
* Bungees included for a secure fit to your hive
* Each Cozy has hand silk screened design by Corwin Bell
* Made in Colorado
* See wool layer R value options below
* Quick and Easy to install
* Insulates the Golden Mean, Cathedral Hive, Original BackYardHive, AND most popular top bar hive designs - If you have a side entrance or longer than 42" top bar hive email us for fitting details
* Insulates upper boxes of Langstroth Hives
* Insulates beethinking hive with hinged roof removed
Cozy Cover fits Langstroth, Warre, Cathedral and Top Bar Beehives!
The Cozy Cover does not need to envelope the entire hive to keep your bees warm over the winter. It has been designed to insulate the hive where the brood nest and the cluster of bees are overwintering. In a langstroth hive the bees will migrate to the top of the hive because warm air rises, so the cozy cover will be fitted to insulate this top section. In a long topbar hive, the bees should be situated towards the front of the hive, so the cozy cover will only need to be fitted to insulate this front section.
More details of our canvas fabric and why we use wool below
"My husband and I keep hives in Minnesota and it's COLD here, -55F isn't uncommon in the worst parts of winter with intense cold snaps and sharp drops in temperature. The cozy covers were easy to put on and our bees made it through the winter." M Lynn Herold, Minnesota